Cornish game hens are a small variety of chicken that make a festive main dish for holiday entertaining or a romantic meal for two. They can be split before roasting for two individual servings or roasted whole.
A savory cherry wine sauce, spiced with thyme, accompanies our recipe. It is quick to make and adds flavor and a delicate sweetness to the dish.
© 2014, Chukar Cherry Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
Cornish Game Hens with Cherry Wine Sauce
By November 10, 2014Published:
Cornish game hens are a small variety of chicken that make a festive main dish for holiday entertaining or a romantic meal for two. …
- 4 cornish game hens thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 cup Pinot Noir
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 cup Chukar Totally Tart Cherries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- To make the sauce, sautée shallots in butter until glassy.
- Stir in Pinot Noir, chicken broth, honey, thyme, and cherries. Cook until reduced by about a quarter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Truss the game hens. Then, mix the lemon juice and olive oil. Spread over hens and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover dish with foil.
- Roast game hens in 450 degree oven for 35 minutes, covered. Remove foil, pour cherry sauce over the game hens. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and cook for an additional 25 minutes until meat reaches 165 degrees F, basting frequently.
- Serve game hens with cherry sauce poured over the top.
No sugar added Montmorency Tart cherries are small in size but intensely flavorful. A favorite of Northwest chefs.