This veggie main dish begins with kale—famous for the vitamins it contains (try 684% of your daily value of vitamin K). It’s topped by other nutrient-rich gems like sweet potatoes, cashews, and dried tart cherries.
Speaking of which, here’s a few notes about what sets Chukar’s dried cherries apart.
First, our cherries are grown in the Northwest, not imported. Many even come from orchards in our own Yakima Valley. That means they aren’t spending long in transit or storage.
Second, we don’t add any preservatives or sulfites. The Totally Tart cherries called for in this recipe don’t even have added sugar.
Finally, cherries are our expertise. Chukar started on an orchard and we’ve kept our manufacturing facility in the heart of Washington’s cherry growing region. Drying cherries isn’t a small part of what we do. Cherries are what we do!
Kale Salad with Cherries, Brie, Cashews, and Sweet Potatoes
By December 5, 2013Published:
This veggie main dish begins with kale—famous for the vitamins it contains (try 684% of your daily value of vitamin K). It's topped …
- ½ bunch kale sliced
- ¾ cup Chukar Totally Tart Cherries soaked in orange juice
- 4 ounces brie cubed
- ¾ cup cashews chopped
- 1 large sweet potato cubed
- ⅓ cup white wine for dressing
- ¾ cup olive oil for dressing
- ¼ cup orange juice for dressing
- ¼ cup lemon juice for dressing
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced and toasted for dressing
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt for dressing
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper for dressing
- To make the dressing, pour white wine, olive oil, orange juice, and lemon juice into a carafe or mason jar. Sauté minced garlic in a non-stick pan until lightly toasted. Add garlic, salt, and pepper to liquid ingredients. Shake well to combine. Chill.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and chop the sweet potato into ½-inch cubes. Toss with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place in oven and roast for about 30 minutes (or until golden brown), stirring every 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Put the Totally Tart cherries on a plate and pour about ¼ cup of orange juice over the top. Let soak for about 10 minutes.
- Slice the kale, removing the stem first. Place sliced leaves in a serving bowl and toss with dressing to taste.
- Sprinkle the cubed brie, drained cherries, cooled sweet potato, and chopped cashews over the top of the dressed kale. Enjoy!
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
No sugar added Montmorency Tart cherries are small in size but intensely flavorful. A favorite of Northwest chefs.